Can’t come to Washington DC for the Rally? Join the Virtual Rally!
Here are three ways to participate:
- Watch the livestreams- Key parts of the GrandRally will be available to view live through your computer, phone or other mobile device.
- Call your members of Congress- On May 9th, 10th and 11th, a toll-free call-in number will be made available to contact your members of Congress and raise your voice about the important role of grandparents and other relatives in raising children.
- Raise awareness through social media – Stay tuned to this page for suggestions and sample social media messages to help raise awareness with elected officials, media and the public about the important role of grandfamilies.
More details to come!
Click here to connect with someone in your state and find out if they are doing a virtual rally.
Planning to participate in the virtual rally? Consider hosting a virtual rally event.
Invite your friends, colleagues, fellow caregivers, and even your elected officials. Here are a few ideas to help you plan a Virtual Rally:
Preparing for your event:
- Identify a location that is centrally located for those attending, has comfortable seating and internet access and is conducive to people making phone calls.
- Prepare your technology– If you plan to watch the livestream of the event, you will want to ensure you have a strong internet signal and a way to project the livestream of the Rally onto a big screen. (Stay tuned for directions on how to access the livestream.)
- Plan for refreshments- The GrandRally takes place from 1:00 to 2:30 Eastern Time (12:00-1:30 CT/11:00-12:30 MT/10:00-11:30 PT). You may want to consider offering lunch or refreshments during your virtual Rally. See our fundraising tips page for creative ways to raise funds to cover the cost of food.
- Secure access to phones and/or social media– Encourage those who have them to bring their cell phones and/or make phones and/or computers available for participants so they will be able to participate in the call-in day and/or social media outreach for the Rally.
- Invite a local official – Have a local official or community leader you want to educate about grandfamilies? Invite them to join your rally and offer some supportive remarks before or after watching the live stream.
Sample Virtual Rally Agenda
12:00 Welcome and lunch
12:30 Remarks by invited local official/speaker
12:45 Tune into livestream
1:00-2:30 View GrandRally livestream (encourage participants to push out GrandRally information and highlights through social media throughout- see our Social Media sample sheet to be uploaded soon)
2:30 Invite participants to call legislators (have handouts with the call-in number and talking points available – you can download them from grandrally2017.org soon).